“Nobody likes war – A statement for every era.”
Interested in visiting an offbeat Peace Pagoda in Odisha? Vishwa Shanti Stupa Dhauli is one of the underrated attractions from Odisha and yet one of the most significant historically. Located in Dhauli district of the eastern state of Odisha, and also known as Dhauli Giri. Shanti Stupa is located on a hilltop giving some of the gorgeous views of the nearby landscape of Odiyan villages.
Odisha (historically Kalinga) was the war field for the historic Kalinga War fought by King Asoka in Dhauli hill on the banks of River Daya. Rumored that the water stream of the river turned red from the bloodshed of the war. When the war was over, King Asoka realized the murkier side of war and thus converted into peace propagator.
Vishwa Shanti Stupa Dhauli Giri
Shanti Stupa or Peace Pagoda is located on a hilltop in Dhauli district of Odisha and the locals also call the Stupa as ‘Dhauli giri’.
King Asoka went on expanding the Shanti Stupa to make it a major Buddhist center and spread the message as far as till Greece. The Shanti Stupa is also known by the name of ‘Peace Pagoda’. King Asoka laid the foundation of various stupas and pillars for promoting Buddhism or peace.
Ashokan Rock Edicts
Dhauli district in Odisha also has famous Rock Edicts popularly known as ‘Asokan Rock Edicts‘ well known for being the rocks where King Asoka hid under an elephant-shaped rock and promoted peace & are written in Brahmi script. Similar Brahmi script is also inscribed on the Iron Pillar in Delhi.
- Located at 7 km from Bhubaneswar city – you may reach Dhauli by bus or a private taxi.
- If Puri is the center of your trip, then the Peace Pagoda will be on your way back towards the main town of Bhubaneswar.
- Ashokan Rock edicts are located on the way to Shanti Stupa – most cabs/buses tend to skip them – ask the driver to make a quick stopover to get a dose of history.
- The main rock edict depicting the Brahmi script is situated on right-side of the entrance. It is locked so to prevent tampering by kids – You can ask the guard to open & show you the edicts.
- If you’re interested in reading the translation of the Brahmi Script so that’s also provided outside the edicts.
Have you heard about Vishwa Shanti Stupa Dhauli near Bhubaneshwar in Odisha, India? Do share your experience with me!
Also, make sure to follow along on my Instagram account for the latest updates and adventures.
Subscribe to TWC’s monthly newsletter – Promise, no spam! – and get your free download of my personally curated carry-on checklist!
My Favorite Posts –
Here are some of my best travel tips
These are my favorite posts
Follow me on Pinterest for more ideas and inspiration!
Like it? Save it for later…
– The Wanderer